It’s no secret that I am a diabetic. I will confess that I don’t follow a strict diabetic diet, but as a pastaholic, I really need to be able to eat my pasta and have it low carb too. This recipe answers that need. I found it on Diabetic Living a long time ago and gave it the old Drama Mama spin. This one fills me up so well, the only reason I might overindulge is simply because it tastes so good. Need more incentive? Its quick, easy, diabetic friendly, and doesn’t even require baking so you can make it even when its hot out!! Score!!
- 2.25 lbs 96% lean ground beef
- 2 10 3/4 oz cans of reduced-fat, reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup (or sugar free spaghetti sauce)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/4 of 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 c water
- 14 oz whole wheat ziti or penne pasta, UNCOOKED (Not a wheat pasta fan? Try Dreamfields)
- 1 tsp garlic salt with parsley
- 8 oz shredded Italian cheese blend (low fat/. part skim)
- 1/4 c shredded Parmesan Cheese
Seasonings I used (to taste): Emeril’s Italian, Sylvia’s Secret, oregano, and Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb
Add-ins: carrot slivers, diced cherry tomatoes
1. In a 4 qt Dutch oven, cook ground beef, carrot, green peppers, onion and tomatoes over medium heat until meat is brown. Drain off fat.
2. Stir in tomato soup, water, uncooked noodles, seasonings (if using), and garlic powder into meat mixture in Dutch oven.
3. Bring mixture to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and cook about 25 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 the cheese. Cover with remaining cheese and serve.